G20 Response to COVID-19
Last night our Prime Minister Scott Morrison joined the G20 leaders in COVID-19 summit to discuss the global response to this pandemic.
We’ve summarised a few key points that came out of the Prime Ministers statement this morning.
G20 Health Response
- Working together is the only way to speed up research and discovery of a vaccine
- Physical borders are closing for now but all countries are committed to sharing ideas and collaborating on research
- The G20 will take all necessary health measures to contain the pandemic
- Agreed to expand manufacturing capacity for medical supplies to ensure they are widely available at an affordable price, and sent to where they are most needed as quickly as possible
- Collectively, G20 economies are injecting trillions into the global economy
- Agreed to resolve disruptions to supply chains and secure the flow of vital medical supplies
Supporting the Pacific and Timor-Leste
- Scott Morrison explained the need to support our Pacific island family
- Australia has provided support for laboratories and public information campaigns, medical equipment and health expertise
- Australia is re-configuring our development assistance to ensure critical health services can continue to function
The Prime Minister ended by saying Australia needs to fight the coronavirus on our shores, in our region and around the world, and the G20 has committed to work together to stop the spread and save lives.