New Zealand to move to Alert Level 3
Effective from 11:59pm 27 April 2020, New Zealand will move out of Alert Level 4 lockdown.
The announcement comes from the New Zealand Government after the country recorded nine straight days of under 20 new COVID-19 cases. The decision will allow many businesses to resume once the country moves to Alert Level 3 and schools are expected to open soon after.
While this may feel like a relief for many after the strict lockdown New Zealand has been under, Jacinda Ardern stressed that New Zealanders would need to be just as vigilant as the country moves in to Alert Level 3 to ensure the country continues to fight against the virus and doesn’t have to return to stricter measures.
What are the rules under Alert Level 3?
- Stay home – the only reasons to leave your home are essential work, school, exercising or getting essential supplies.
- Work and learn from home if you can.
- Make you business COVID-19 safe.
- Stay regional.
- Keep your bubble as small as possible.
- Wash your hands often with soap. Then dry them.
- If you are sick, stay at home and quickly seed advice from your GP or Healthline about getting a test.
What are the rules for businesses under Alert Level 3?
- If your business requires close physical contact it can’t operate.
- Your staff should work from home if they can.
- Customers cannot come onto your premises. The only exception are supermarkets, dairies, petrol stations, pharmacy or permitted health services.
- Your business must be contactless for payment and delivery or pick-up.
- Basic hygiene measures must be maintained.
- If you used PPE in your business before COVID-19, then keep using it in the same way. If you didn’t use PPE in your business before COVID-19, you don’t need it now.
- You must meet all other health and safety obligations.
The New Zealand Government will make further announcements on 11 May 2020 in regard to the possibility of moving to Alert Level 2.
We expect an announcement later this week from Immigration New Zealand about when their office will reopen and processing of visa applications will recommence.
Read more about the latest announcement on the New Zealand Government website.