The Australian Government has elected to introduce a series of new rules and regulations that are intended to increase the integrity of the visa system and simplify the requirements for foreign nationals during their time in Australia.
Individuals who apply for a temporary visa on or after 18 November 2017 will be subject to the following new conditions during their time in Australia, including:
- Visa Condition 8303, which prohibits the applicant from taking part in an activity that endangers or threatens another individual, along with any activity which could prove; disruptive or threatening to the Australian community, or a demographic group within it;
- Visa Condition 8304, which requires temporary visa holders to identify themselves by the same name whenever dealing with any Commonwealth, State or Territory government agencies;
- Visa Condition 8564, requires individuals to refrain from taking part in any criminal conduct. Individuals who violate this requirement by receiving a criminal conviction may subsequently have their visa cancelled.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has also announced that the following regulations will become stricter for all visa applications applied for on or before 18 November 2017.
The DIBP claims that the changes are being introduced to the overall integrity of Australia’s visa system.
- The Public Interest Criterion 4020 will be changed to increase the period in which instances of fraud can be taken into consider, from twelve months to ten years. Permanent Humanitarian and Protection visa holders will remain exempt from this change;
- Any permanent residency visa holder who is being considered for visa cancellation will no longer be eligible to apply for a resident return visa (RRV);
- The application criteria for Bridging Visa E (BVE) has been amended to disqualify individuals who have previously violated conditions 8303 or 8564—or may pose a threat to the community—from applying. However, the DIBP may still choose to grant a BVE to any individual without application, if it is deemed appropriate.
If you have any questions or would like us to assist with your global immigration queries, simply click this link to schedule a call with one of our Registered Migration Agents